View Single Post
Old October 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Murrdock

Quote:
Get better sights.

I installed an XS Sight Systems LeverScout Mount and a 2.5x pistol scope on my daughter's 30/30 ..... took about 30 minutes. 6 rounds to sight it in. She was bustin' milk jugs full of water at 150 yards on Sunday, and she's 15...... I'm sure you could manage 200 yards with such a set-up.
I prefer open sights on a brush gun, but after I get peeps installed on the .35 I'm going to get a scope on see through mounts for 200 yard shots (eventually). I dinked around all summer saying I would install peeps in the fall, but I failed to realize how little time I would have. If I could keep my guns in the dormitory, I could easily find time to tinker with them, but they have to be kept at the campus lock up.

Quote:
The .30 carbine was illegal to use for deer in our state, along with 9mm luger and many other specific cartridges. For decades, IIRC, there was a 90 grain minimum limit for deer, regardless of caliber. Nothing smaller than 6 mm was legal.
I know people who take deer with .22 magnums here in Maine, which is perfectly legal. They don't shoot them more than 50 yards, but still legal.

Quote:
it keeps a lot of yahoos from maiming deer with something they thought looked "cool" at a gunshow or estate sale.
The only reason I considered taking the m1 was the fact that I'm very good with military style peep sights, not because it looks cool.
Quote:
Zero the .270. Or take the .35. You must have some time, you're plinking with the carbine, right?
I plinked the Carbine some over the summer, but now I'm back at college and I work on the weekends, so I literally have NO time to sight in the ol girl. I usually don't need to zero it, but this summer we were out shooting in the field and my buddy bumped it as it was leaning against the tailgate which made it hit the ground scope first, but since we were running out of daylight, I didn't shoot it again that day, and haven't since.

Page generated in 0.02788 seconds with 8 queries