Thread: Ruger AC 556
View Single Post
Old December 8, 2010, 08:43 AM   #40
Skans

Quote:
If parts are going to be a problem, you may want to look at the FNC
I'd like to know a good source of spare parts for the FNC. I have a semi-auto FNC and have been looking for spare parts for it for years. At best, I've found folks selling the following:

one used barrel for $350+ that might or might not work.
used plastic forestock pop up now and then
scope mount that runs about $80+ pops up now and then
firing pins can be found if you know where to look
semi-auto hammer - first one I saw just spotted on gunbroker.

Finding parts for the FNC is miserable, and if you happen to find a part you are looking for, you will pay dearly for it. You can't just buy a semi-auto FNC for spares either because that'll run you about $2.5K. The good news is that the FNC is a good gun that doesn't usually break.

The AC556 is a good full-auto .223 for the money. Yes, the barrels will heat up after heavy use - but they are far more durable than folks who have never owned and shot one would have you believe - at least the 13" barrels are. In semi-auto my 13" AC556 is fairly accurate out to 75-100 yards. Beyond that, I don't know because I don't have any use for trying to hit targets at 200 yards with a 13" carbine. And, unlike the FNC, I can have an excellent quality heavy barrel installed on my AC556 for the same price it will cost to install a used barrel on an FNC if you are lucky enough to find one.

Last edited by Skans; December 8, 2010 at 08:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.03607 seconds with 8 queries