View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Jim243

My personal favorite is the P-4 recital. But it is not always available in the scope I want so for me the Mil-dot is the next choice. As to power I like the 6-24 x 50 mm scopes they allow me to see my hits without having to drag out the spotting scope. As far as setting the scope for each range, I don't, I use hold over since it is easier for me to adjust for point of impact on changing distances.

Depending on the caliber of rifle and weight of bullet the trajectory will be the same from shot to shot, bullet drop will be the same from shot to shot. So a rifle zeroed in at 200 yards will need approximately (3 MOA) 1 mil hold over at 300 yard ( 9 inch bullet drop) and a (-1.5 MOA) 1/2 mil hold under at 100 yards ( 4.5 inch bullet rise). This is not exact but i use a 3 MOA bullet drop per mil-dot, like I said it is not exact but close.

Once the scope is zeroed, I leave it there and use the mil-dots for any changes in range or wind.

Just the way I do it, should work for you as well at fixed distances.
Jim

If you have a smart phone you can download a ballistic calculator app for free. This is one I use on an old iPhone that I no longer use as a phone.
It is set for a 130 grain 270 round with a 5 mph wind from the left, scoped zeroed at 200 yards, shot to be taken at 300 yards, for my 6-24 power scope.

Last edited by Jim243; July 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.02332 seconds with 8 queries