View Single Post
Old July 22, 2011, 04:09 PM   #15
BigJimP

You've got the right attitude ..../ and listen and learn ..and read and learn ...and just keep going thru the process. Its also really critical to read your loaders equipment manual ...and read it like the technical manual that it is / very precisely - vs a novel.

What I know you've realized at this point ...is how important it is to maintain your equipment, keep it lubed and clean ...and check it when something doesn't seem right ... / keep a "lab" like mentality to your reloading processes ...and keep the bench clean and your reloading area organized ( don't leave large primers on the bench when you're loading small primers / don't put a powder can on the bench other than the powder you're using ...etc ) ....

To check overall length on a round ....I use a "case gague" - The last step I take, prior to boxing 50 rds /is I run each finished round thru a "case gague" ...if it drops in smooth ( flush on top ) - does not extend beyond the end of the gague - and it drops out cleanly ...its ok. If it sticks / there may be a burr on the case, a small crack that opened up under pressure - a wonky primer inserted ...or something else that will not make the round feed 100%. A case gague - is like the chamber area on your barrel - to pick up those few last rounds that need to be rejected - drop them in a small can / for bullets to be pulled - and components reclaimed.

And last - but not least --- have fun with the reloading process !! Its a great part of the shooting hobby ...there is something special about shooting your own high quality ammo...

Page generated in 0.03257 seconds with 8 queries