View Single Post
Old January 1, 2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Sevens

I've kept some brass primed for many months, simply stored in nothing more than a plastic container with a lid. In fact, my typical system is to prep a big load of brass (a couple thousand) and leave them in a container, pull out 200 or 500 at a time to make loaded ammo with. That's how I've been running my bench for the last 5 years or so.

As mentioned above--keeping them in their original packaging is because the packaging is designed to keep them from chain firing, and for easy identification of what they are. What wasn't mentioned is that apparently, the DOT believes that priming them in to brass makes them much, much safer. Packed in OEM primer boxes -- they are hazardous materials and must be shipped as such. Prime them in to cases, however, and they cease to be hazmat for the purpose of shipping.

In other words, if you wanna send your buddy 100 primers...it's a major hassle and a much increased shipping expense. Or -- you can prime 100 pieces of brass and then mail it along with anything else.

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries