View Single Post
Old March 21, 2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Depends how much of a blend

To find how much stainless is in the stainless (the quality of the SS. Pure SS will not attract a magnet at all), try sticking a magnet to it. If there is a good amount of stainless the magnet should hardly stick. If there is alot of plain ferris steel in the blend, the magnet will stick more. The more ferris in the mix, the more it will develop rust or pitting. I dont know how much stainless a product has to have to be labled "stainless" the magnet will tell you

Stainless does have to be cared for tho.... sweat (salt) salt water and sea spray, and some powder residues will still need to be cleaned off (especially black powder residue), or the stainless will end up pitting, rusting or discolouring to darken (lose its shine) like around pistol hand grip areas where sweat (Salt) is prevailant. Stainless is softer than steel, so dings and scratches occur easier than blued steel, and SS screws are soft and easily damaged with ill fitting screwdrivers. I prefer SS in most cases for revolvers, some parts of SA's have to have the rockwell hardness of normal steel (thats why I like polymer SA's with a SS barrel (Go the Glock)

Go Stainless is MHO

Muzza

Page generated in 0.03293 seconds with 8 queries