View Single Post
Old December 3, 2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer
...According to Cooper:

"You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep."..
Provide a verifiable citation. When I quoted Colonel Cooper I provided a verifiable citation. If you're going to do so you also need to do the rest of us the courtesy of doing the same and allowing us to validated the accuracy of your claim.

In addition, you've thus far demonstrated that you apparently don't understand Colonel Cooper or the Color Code very well, so I'm not going to accept your claims about something Col. Cooper supposedly said unless you do validate your claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
...First, weren’t Cooper’s Colors meant for on-duty?...
No. See the discussion on John Schaefer's website and to which I linked in post 3 and the quote from Jeff Cooper's Commentaries I set out in post 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
...Second, I know of zero people (and I would not want to know them or hang around them) who are in condition yellow at home while doing something mundane, such as, making dinner, watching TV, or reading a book....
On 26 May 2002 I was with Jeff Cooper in his home at Gunsite in Arizona. I was there by his invitation to watch the Monaco Grand Prix.

We sat in his den watching the race and chatting. After the race, we repaired to the living room to continue chatting and to enjoy some refreshment provided by Mrs. Cooper. Both Col. Cooper and I were armed, and I dare say in Condition Yellow the entire time, but it really had no perceptible effect on either of us.

People who have not had a full grounding in the Cooper/Gunsite Color Code consistently erroneously believe that each level represents some step-up in alertness and associated tension. But it really doesn't. Let's look again at what Colonel Cooper wrote (Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 13, pg.4, emphasis added)
Quote:
...The Color Code refers not to a condition of peril, but rather to a condition of readiness to take life. Fortunately most people are very reluctant to take lethal action against another human being. ...To press the trigger on a human adversary calls for a wrenching effort of will which is always difficult to achieve ...Most of us would prefer to live in Condition White permanently, and many do, but those who are more aware of the nature of things are often in Yellow, which is a condition in which we are aware that the world is full of hazards which are human, and some of which may be obviated by our own defensive action. When one is in Condition Yellow he is aware that today may be the day. He is not in a combat mood, nor is he aware of any specific situation which may call for action on his part. [B]There is a vital difference between White and Yellow, ....The difference does not lie in the deadliness of the hazard facing you, but rather in your willingness to take a very unusual action...
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02488 seconds with 8 queries