View Single Post
Old February 22, 2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Gbro

I have done all three, And the H/L is the best in most cases.
The neck is a good vital area and puts them down in there tracks(if hit properly), Not the best if you are thinking of a wall mount some say.(not me).
The head is a small target, and I have taken it because of brush that will deflect a bullet.

The only Deer I ever lost was a head shot(30 years ago). It dropped in its tracks only to bound away after i left the stand. No follow up shot in the brush. I saw that buck every time i closed my eyes for a long time. No blood, just some antler chips.
The thought process was from the deer from the previous year where i broke the back and spoiled the chops. I didn't want to do that and went for the John Wayne. (that loss cured me for many years).

H/L is a large target area, but i have been on long chases where the bullet was a little high, or low brisket. Usually there was some brush in the way and the shot didn't hit point of aim. Shooting lanes will help in these situations.
And I have taken a head shot(recent years) when Deer wasn't headed for a shooting lane.
Remember to "Look Beyond Your Target"

Page generated in 0.02936 seconds with 8 queries