View Single Post
Old April 11, 2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
People here get personal protection weapons no training required there might be some safety training available but that's it....
That's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
...is all this training necessary for civilians...
Training helps one improve his level of skill and competence. It's necessary only if one wants to improve his level of skill and competence. A responsible gun owner will want to improve his level of skill and competence.

In an emergency, one will respond using whatever skills he has. If his skills are good enough, he'll be able to deal with the situation appropriately. If his skills are not good enough, he'll probably be unhappy with the way things turn about. If it ever happens to you, you won't know in advance what you'll need to be able to do to prevail. The better you are, the more skills you have and the more you're able to do, the luckier you will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg23
...In reading your article, I saw the quote from the Gunsite instructors about "We teach the Weaver stance." In the photos, it appeared that some students were shooting from an Isosceles stance (or a close approximation).

Does Gunsite require students to shoot from the Weaver stance ?? (I understand the "Attend class with an open mind" business, but am asking how they handle the Weaver/Isosceles aspect)....
Actually, most of us were using a Weaver or variation, insofar as we were using some degree of isometric tension (push-pull). That's the principal characteristic of a Weaver.

But for the intermediate class (350) the instructors tend to me somewhat more flexible as long as the student is performing satisfactorily or unless whatever the student is doing might be problematic. However, when I took the first level class (250) ten years ago, they were quite strict about using the Weaver. Of course, for that class Jeff Cooper was Range Master; and he was not known for being flexible regarding doctrine.

In any case, I'm a strong believer in the proposition that an accomplished shooter should be able to manage quite well with either a Weaver or Isosceles (as well as both dominant hand and non-dominant hand unsupported).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in c.a.
...I want to search out a trainer who is focused on SD/HD -- me versus a burglar at o,dark:30...
Do you really know what you're going to need to be able to do it confronted with your burglar. Good training is, I believe, less focused on particular tactical situations and more focused on basic skills.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03036 seconds with 8 queries