Thread: Howdah Help?
View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
1Funkymonkey

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, everyone I know previously connected with this pistol is gone now. My wife isn't sure if her father brought it back with him from the Pacific after WWII or if her Step-dad, an avid gun collector, picked it up at a flea market somewhere but it's been in the family for quite some time. My wife remembers seeing it displayed at her folks house when her son was young and he's 38 now.

The rust in the bores, the heavily peened nipples with matching marks on the hammers and the amount of carbon fouling I scraped out of the chambers indicates it was once used more than a few times. There are some things pictures can't capture. You have to hold it.

I'm inclined to agree that it may be Asiatic in origin. The antique, European models I've seen are all far more refined and have the manufacturers' markings on them. It would seem reasonable to me that a small operation in an unregulated country would care little about such details.

I've been starting to speculate that this may be an India-made, market grade pistol sold to unprepared tourists that decided they wanted to go on a hunt. I'm hoping that the unusual manner in which the hammers are fastened might give a clue to its age and origin. Every pistol I've viewed in its class has the hammers fastened with screws. I've never seen a hammer held on with a spanner nut before.

1FM

Last edited by 1Funkymonkey; September 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 8 queries