View Single Post
Old October 17, 2013, 07:25 AM   #1
SpareMag

BP revolver for the newbie

Gentlefolk,

Well, my "care and feeding" post was incredibly helpful to me, so since no good deed goes unpunished...

I am interested in expanding my BP experience to include pistols.

I am blissfully ignoring my total lack of knowledge.

I am also a fan of "Hell on Wheels" so a Griswold replica would be way cool for me, but the stickie here warns against brass-framed revolvers. This makes sense to me, so I am probably dropping a Griswold, sadly, from consideration.

So, criteria:
1: something that I would have to work really hard to screwup

2: economical -meaning $500 or less - this is strictly a toy for me, not a SD weapon

3: some historical interest. I saw one Cabela's offering with the selling point it was the model carried by John Wesley Hardin. Interesting, but not the weapon karma I am seeking.

4: ability to get a spare cylinder for it at a reasonable price. Clint Eastwood was changing barrels without looking in...Josie Wales? That is the kind of cool I would love to be able to emulate. What was Wales' revolver?

5: a base understanding of what else I need to factor in...such as a bullet press, which is not needed for a rifle. But what else? I know I will need a different powder than the 2F I am using now.

6: something iconically American, I think, though a replica German revolver would be cool...no French arms need apply

7: country of mfg is not important, but prefer to avoid China. Not for any political reason, but if the country can't make baby formula, I don't have warm-fuzzies about sporting weapons that can remove fingers or eyes. yeah, I know, the type 54 is great...thanks, will stick with my Russian SKS.

Ummm..that should cover it! From my surfing, it appears Italy is my country mfg of choice--or no choice, for I see no one else producing cheap BP pistols, but please educate me.

What am I missing or not thinking through?

Page generated in 0.02816 seconds with 8 queries