View Single Post
Old November 2, 2005, 11:52 PM   #61
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangeles
Most people don't deadlift. And if someone new tries to go and max out the first time, even if they're athletes, something bad will happen -- they will likely get injured. For most people, you can't just set this up as test -- unless you have the technique and training, serious injury will happen if you test your limits.
What my buddy and I did, we'd deadlift every other week, and we'd usually do doubles, so that we weren't quite maxing. For instance we'd squat every Monday, but deadlift only every other Friday and give the posterior chain a break. This left benching for the middle of the week. Also we would cycle the poundages (most people fail to make gains because they attempt a max lift every single time they train, rather than cycling their training properly and in a progressive manner).

I think the correlation between deadlifting and training injuries is probably due to the sheer number of people who do it incorrectly.

Occasionally we'd do suspended-chain Good Mornings instead of DLs. But, due to the nature of the exercise, we never went much over 405 lbs.

The Good Morning (GM) is used by a lot of Westside Barbell trainees, and is widely regarded as one of the best exercises for the posterior chain (which is very important in the squat or deadlift). I'm sure Losangeles knows what I'm referring to, but for those who don't know, you take the bar on your shoulders as you would with a squat, but instead of dropping down into a full squat, you keep your knees slightly bent and bring your torso forward until it reaches between a 45 and 70 degree angle from upright, with the back kept straight. (You don't want to bend to the point that your torso is parallel to the floor, but you do want to bend forward a significant amount. Because of the law of individual differences, you have to get a feel for it.) The suspended-chain version of the GM is when you hang the bar from the top if a lifting cage using a pair of chains, and start in the low point of the exercise, so that the eccentric (lowering) portion of the movement occurs after the concentric (lifting) portion, rather than the other way around. Anyway, it's an excellent movement to include among the staple exercises, besides the squat and deadlift and their variants.

Page generated in 0.02322 seconds with 8 queries