View Single Post
Old September 10, 1999, 09:36 AM   #19
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

Dr. Rob, Art, Long Path---

Double--make that, TRIPLE-- roger on the boots thing. Considering the expense of the trip, the hunt, licenses, and so on, a decent pair of boots, proper socks and polypropylene underwear are DIRT CHEAP!

Lack of preparation can turn a truly beautiful hunting experience into a survival exercise, and I, for one, am getting too durned old for that kind of thing.

Speaking of the hunting experience--When I returned to work after a Colorado elk hunt, I was asked by several people, "Did you have any success?" My standard reply became, "Oh, si, amigo--Very successful--Saw a lot of beautiful country, met some really nice folks, safe travel. I didn't happen to fire a shot the whole week, but it was quite successful."

Some of those asking are not hunters and aren't aware that it's not all about killing something. I think it was Ortega y Gassett who said, "One does not hunt in order to kill. One sometimes kills in order to have hunted." Words to that effect.

A true pleasure to share the forum with people who understand that concept.

Re: rifles--
You've all said it well. I toted a .338 WinMag on two elk hunts and was confident. Didn't get to use it. When I fell on the rifle and was unsure of the scope, I hauled out the old 'aught-six backup and finished the hunt with it. Strangely, I didn't feel a bit undergunned. I merely adjusted my expectations and tactics and think that, had the opportunity arisen, it would have served perfectly well.

Best to all--

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Page generated in 0.03811 seconds with 8 queries