View Single Post
Old January 27, 2005, 01:36 PM   #10
wyatttt

I would have to agree with the 338 decision over the 30. I have shot both at long distance and the single greatest factor in favor of the 338 is bullet weight. A 30 caliber bullet is simply not capable of resisting outside/ambient forces as well as 338, assuming similar BCs. I shot the 300 Weatherby for several thousand rounds before moving to the 338-378. Both have similar accuracy potential and are capable of extremely high velocities. However, out past 600 yrds the thing that matters most is retained energy and resistance to drift, both of which are functions of bullet weight at that given velocity. Both bullets will drift, but the heavier one will drift less, hold its velocity longer and deliver its energy more efficiently. My next 1000 yrd gun will be centered around the Lapua.

Regarding the hunting.....I have to agree with Robert. We have a responsibility to provide the big game animal with a clean and humane end. I would think that most people with real long range experience will tell you that the first shot at long range, on a cold barrel and in varying conditions is a question mark.

Page generated in 0.02274 seconds with 8 queries