Thread: Belted magnums
View Single Post
Old November 29, 2015, 02:14 PM   #4
condor bravo

If you are referring to the Fed pull down .300 Win brass that apparently had been military sniper rounds, by all means get some, good brass and good buy. But don't rush into the collet die situation unless determined that it is really necessary for switching between rifles. One hundred dollars says you will never need one. At last count I had 21 belted mag rifles, Mdl 70s and 700s, covering 13 calibers and never once ran into the necessity for using a collet die. This subject was discussed in a recent thread. My sizing method is simply to screw the sizing die down to the shell holder and then back off some. Simplistic and basic but always works. I used to use separate sizing dies and brass for repeat calibers but this turned out to be unnecessary. Brass used is mostly Rems and Wins with good case life; I have given up keeping count on the number of loadings. Occasionally a split neck will show up but never anything close to a separation. Never a problem using the same loads between rifles of the same caliber. Perhaps a lot of this is just good luck with no expertise on my part. And cannot really say if headspacing is mostly on the belts or the shoulders. If there isn't a problem, don't create one by trying to make everything identical.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 29, 2015 at 03:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.02015 seconds with 8 queries