View Single Post
Old May 28, 2001, 08:30 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

I'm a veteran of the 'old shotgun wars'. Older shotguns SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. I know, I know, your granddad, daddy and you have fired thousand of rounds without trouble. I know it's a high-grade gun. I know it's just as good as the day it was made. Question: How much is your eyesight, hands, and maybe life, WORTH. How much are the same things worth to a bystander.

My brother was going to buy a Remington double made in the early 1930's, a few years ago. I told him NO, don't do it.
He and the owner took it out for one last test fire. My brother told me the owner finished ripping me for 'dissing' a fine Remington, loaded 'er up, fired it, and the right-hand barrel blew out mid-way down the hand guard. Fortunatly he was holding it with his hand against the receiver. A piece of steel about 4 inches long by 3/4" peeled back and was literally hanging by a 'thread'. If it had come free, it would have gotten him square in the right eye. he got some fragments in the face and a nice cut from the peeled section. Suddenly, I wasn't so stupid any more.

Over the years I've seen a number of guns blow, and it AIN'T funny, even when nobody gets hurt.
No gun is worth your life. Hang the old ones over the mantle.

Page generated in 0.03494 seconds with 8 queries