View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
tAKticool

New Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm SF BDC questions

Hi all,

As the title states I have a few questions about my new scope, a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm SF BDC scope. It is on my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 ... I had been looking for a while, came close once or twice to buying a few different Leupold's (mostly VX3 4.5-14x50mm , almost bought the Boone & Crockett reticle model then almost bought same w/ illuminated scope, then didn't , then kind of said, you know $1000 is a lot of money, came close to a few Zeiss's etc. ) ... eventually I settled on the Nikon, as I am a big fan, have two ProStaffs that were flawless and faultless, I read a few people reviewing their Monarchs claiming they were at least as good as the VX3 if not better, and then I almost bought it, didn't, and then Monday got a 25% off any one item plus free shipping email from Dick's Sporting Goods, took advantage and it arrived today.

So I had previously had the rifle setup for a scope, while I was awaiting NICS the day after election day, I had a 2 hour wait, I had the gunsmith at the LGS i was at install a Leupold one piece base and Leupold medium rings, which were perfect for this. I carefully mounted the scope and I'm not going to have the chance to shoot it right away which should give me plenty of time to get used to it.

My main question is this: It came with target turrets but not installed. There are instructions on how to install them but I am a novice when it comes to that, I have never actually installed target turrets before. There are several lines in the instructions telling me to be careful How I do it and keep the numbers/settings aligned to preserve the correct settings later.... SO: Do I want to install these turrets now, Then go out and zero the scope and such, or do I want to go zero the scope, get it set up how I want it and like it, And THEN replace the turrets so they are on correctly right at the zero I want?

Any other points I would be welcome to, if you have experience with the Monarch please feel free. Mine was looking pretty nice, it came with really nice flip-up lens covers, a soft neoprene scope coat, a sun shade (but I'd have to remove the lens cover I think to use it), the aforementioned package of turrets, and a huge set of booklets including the BDC reticle explanation (Which I am comfortable with from the BDC 4-12x40mm ProStaff I have).... I for one cannot wait to zero the scope and get it setup for a particular round with Nikon SpotOn, which will Easily let me calculate ballistic data and write down what the 4 bullet drop compensator dots mean for point of impact. A suburban SHTF sniper could not ask for more!

Thanks much, -tAK

Page generated in 0.02324 seconds with 8 queries