View Single Post
Old July 12, 1999, 08:36 AM   #9
Skorzeny

Actually, folks, I just wanted to know what all of you think about the matter. I wasn't looking for recommendations.

I started my training with Tae Kwon Do (older, more combative style, pre-[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]) some 20 years ago. Then I learned some Judo (Korean-style Judo, very similar to pre-WWII Kodokan-style). Simultaneously, I learned boxing and Muy Thai kickboxing (I also dabbled in various different Ryu's of Karate-Do). For the past few years, I've been primarily training in Aikido (Aikikai-style) and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Vale Tudo.

I agree that learning one stylized (Tae Kwon Do) and ritualized (Aikido) system may and probably will hurt one's effectivenss on the street. Certainly learning a number of different styles help, I think, enabling one to be proficient in different elements of fighting such as punching (boxing), kicking (Muy Thai), weapons defense/retention (Jujutsu/Aikido) and ground-fighting (BJJ/Vale Tudo).

On the other hand, I think that one ought to be fully proficient in one art before moving to another. "Cliff notes" knowledge of martial arts actually hurt rather than help.

Lastly, I personally think that if one had to learn one martial art for civilian self-defense, the "best" one is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Vale Tudo (the "anything goes" version of BJJ).

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.03210 seconds with 8 queries