View Single Post
Old September 27, 2008, 07:22 PM   #10
ReadyOnTheRight

Quote:
"...had a bolt action rifle freeze on me once..." Oiled/greased in cold weather? There are greases/lubricants that don't harden in the cold. Otherwise, think bone dry.
It was about 12 below zero. It was a weird day - it had been much warmer the night before. The first big temperature drop of the season, so I suppose everything was still relatively moist.

I never really understood why it froze because I keep my guns outside in the car when it's that cold to avoid condensation. I bet it WAS the oil, although I do keep it pretty dry (I use plain old Hoppes and Rem Oil). Thanks!

I was thinking Javelina would probably be the only animal for guns this size. Although the .45 is interesting for whitetail. It's allowed in Wisconsin, but not Minnesota.

Thanks for the stories!
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-

Page generated in 0.02716 seconds with 8 queries