View Single Post
Old July 28, 2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Wildalaska

Quote:
Homicide is the willful taking of a human life. In this scenario there is no intent by the defender to take the life of the innocent.
Really? You fire to save yourself KNOWING that your shot could hit an innocent.

I could fit that into a homicide statute.

Quote:
Your religious beliefs preclude you from shooting and thats totally fine.
It's not religious. Its ethics. Im an agnostic and the absurdity of religious belief does not negate its ethical value or at least the ethical issues one confronts.

Here: You want ethical mud wrestling?

Scenario: Bad guy has your wife with a knife at her throat and tells you he will slit it if you dont fire into the crowd of schoolchildren. You have no shot at attacker.

Quote:
I rather save my wife and child and go to jail then let them get killed and me be a walking ghost. I could not deal with my family hurt as much as myself, either way self preservation and the preservation of dear ones is a powerful emotion.
So you are killing someone elses kid.

Quote:
The lives of my family take precedent over ALL other considerations by a wide margin. Blood IS thicker than water, AND other blood - and I am NOT my brother's keeper. The law of survival makes my life just as valuable. I'm not heroic or noble enough to sacrifice myself for others. A character flaw, I'm sure, but that's the way it is.
As are you...

WildchewonthatoneforabitAlaska ™

Last edited by Wildalaska; July 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.03726 seconds with 8 queries