View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 12:36 PM   #2
Paul B.

Yanus. Yes. No. Maybe. I load and feed several 30-30 rifles, ranging from a 1911 carbine to one made in the early 1980's. What has worked for me is this. I use a full length sizing die. I started out with it backed off about 4 turns. I sized a round and tried it in the gun. Turned the die down a bit, and tried it again. I kept this up until the case entered the rifle without difficulty, and then gave it about a one sixteenth of a turn more. When using a magic marker to see how far the case went into the die (You color the neck and shoulder) the markings showed that the only the neck was being sized, and there was about one sixteenth of an inch of the neck left unsized. The nice part about it, is the brass fired in one rifle, sized in this manner, will still fit in all my 30-30 rifles. That's 4 Winchester 94's, a model 64, a model 54, and they also worked in a Marlin, which I sold recently. This is with full power loads using cast lead bullets. I can get factory specs with lead, so I don't use jacketed bullets in my 30-30's.
Using a Lyman tong tool, which only neck sizes, the brass seems to work in all the rifles as well, regardless of which rifle they were shot in.
These are just my observations based on usage in my rifles, but maybe it will answer your question.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03131 seconds with 8 queries