View Single Post
Old January 9, 2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Hook686

My view:

morality is in the eyes of the beholder. Moral obligation is a rationalization that can lead to justifying spurious behavior.

I use the definition:

morality

n 1: concern with the distinction between good and evil, or right and wrong

Personally I do not believe there is a 'right and wrong', there are merely consequences. Personal philosophy, so it is my starting point. Who am I to judge 'right and wrong', I am not God, just another animal on this planet trying to survive, while enjoying the journey.

I chuckle when I read the expression 'Moral obligation'. This is because an obligation is an obligation, not an arbitrary choice. To begin putting qualifications on an obligation, dictating when I will exercise the 'obligation', and when I will not, eliminates the concept of 'Obligation', in my book. This means the thoughts of friends, family, work, recreation, retirement, ..., do not enter the equation, from my perspective, for an obligation is an obligation ... a duty to act.

Others surely see it different than I do, but then I am only responsible for my actions, reactions and inactions. I will leave the rest of you to struggle with your rationalizations.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Page generated in 0.02801 seconds with 8 queries