View Single Post
Old June 14, 2000, 05:12 PM   #14
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

Oh, yeah--
JHANKS's msg reminds me: While discussing the wonderfulness of Dillon's products, didn't even mention their excellent die design. You'll do yourself a favor if you spend the extra money and purchase their dies. They seem expensive when compared to price of some other pretty satisfactory dies, 'specially used ones picked up at the local gun shop or gun shows.

Dillon's seating and crimping dies have inserts that are removable from the die body without having to unscrew die from the tool head, simply by popping a spring ring. This makes it a snap to clean bullet lube and shaved lead out, without having to readjust the die when you put it back. It encourages good cleaning practices and uniform seating. Also, Dillon dies have a fairly subtle radius at the opening which saves a lot of crushed brass and fingers being pinched, not to mention speeding up the reloading process. I still use RCBS dies for a couple of numbers of which I load little, and figure on writing off a lot of cases when I load .380, for example. Slows things down, too.

On my D-550B, I'm set up to load SIXTEEN different cartridges at present. I also have dies and converstions to load .32-20, .32 ACP and .25 ACP but haven't gotten around to setting up a Dillon tool head for these two. I load most rifle ctgs on an old RCPS single-stage, though.

The Dillon is so fast and easy to use, I almost resent spending ANY money on factory ammo. I previously mentioned that I'm looking for an SDB to leave set up for .45 ACP, but what I'd really like is another 550B, so I won't have to change back and forth between large and small primer systems.

Now that I've gotten myself all fired up, I think I'll go home and load some this evening.

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Rocky Road (edited June 14, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03189 seconds with 8 queries