View Single Post
Old July 13, 2011, 07:37 AM   #25
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith
Compare that to a ball of 340 grains that hits at 1400 FPS and slows down in the animal less (if cast from a hardened lead alloy,) so for about 1/3 of it's travel through the animal (about the first 5-7 inches of penetration) it's going faster then the X bullet! And it weights 120 grains more. And it's about as big going in as the 300 mag bullet is coming out.
He's right. Back in the day I became enamored of charcoal burners and hunted almost exclusively with a .54 caliber caplock rifle. The load that I used for hunting was a 230 patched ball over 90 grains of ffg powder. I never put it over a chronograph, but I suspect it was traveling at 1200-1400 fps. I shot several deer with that rifle and they were all one-shot kills. Guys would ask me about the rifle and I'd tell them that my ball started out larger than their bullet was after it had expanded. Every deer I shot with that rifle was through-and-through and I didn't have to track them at all. They lay down and died right there.

Today we've got better powder and we drive bullets faster. Some of the powders the companies are coming out with are really interesting. I've been playing with Alliant's new Power Pro 2000 MR and it pushes the .308 to a whole nuther level. I was shooting 150 grain SST bullets yesterday and getting velocities of over 2950 fps from my completely stock Remington 700.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03318 seconds with 8 queries