View Single Post
Old November 13, 2009, 11:47 AM   #12
sauerfan

Hi Billy,

Well, just a guess: it will be cheaper if the gun smith takes the replacement firing pin and makes the necessary modifications (cutting the channel or slit in, brining it to the appropriate diameter) than making a totally new firing pin out of a metal block. But ask him and you’ll know.

Quote:
I grew up playing with this thing in the attic when I was younger.
*sigh* Reminds me on my own childhood when I played with my father’s Mauser 1914 (mint condition, rare variation)…but my father did not know what I was doing….. Meanwhile, the pistol is in a collection of a friend and I must grin every time I see my "toy" again.

A hint regarding the finish: it can easily be improved with fine (!) steel wool: Soak the steel wool in oil (never use dry steel wool) and go over the surface. Your pistol will look much nicer after this treatment. It will not turn it into showroom condition, but you can at least improve the appearance.

Regarding the firing pin/loading lever. For better understanding, see the enclosed image from Sauer’s relating patent. In fact, the original idea was to have an indicator indicating loaded AND cocked condition. On the BMs I am aware of, this doesn’t work this way – it’s only a loading indicator. Anyway, you’ll see from the drawing: the channel (groove) is absolutely necessary.

Best regards

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM-Patent.jpg (90.1 KB, 311 views)

Page generated in 0.03228 seconds with 9 queries