View Single Post
Old April 19, 2011, 01:14 PM   #28
AK103K

Quote:
I understand your concern over target recognition. I agree that distinguishing between good guy and bad guy is extremely important. I just feel that the odds of needing this skill are much much lower than say the odds of needing to defend against a charging knife attack. Hence I would devote much much more practice time on the Tueller drill for example.
Im not sure I see any difference between the two here.

Either way, you still have to ID that someone running to you does in fact have a knife (or gun, or what ever), and if hes amongst a number of people also running at or around you, who dont, you have to make a lot of instant decisions and deal with other things at the same time.

Threat assessment and ID is just a basic part of all this, and if youre carrying a gun, regardless of your purpose, its something you need to be able to do, especially under stress. One on one, or one on some.

Tunnel vision is hard enough to deal with, practicing to do so, just makes things worse. Working on anything that helps you stay in the big picture, especially when your brain is screaming to focus on one thing, is much more useful than constantly practicing one or two things of a more narrow scope, over and over.

One thing here with Tueller, since everyone is so caught up in its time space continuum thing, are you also practiced in your grappling (and since a knife is involved, bleeding ) skills to be able to deal with it if your timing is off? I know we're all gun people, but sometimes the gun "isnt" always the answer to the question, or at least, not immediately. Most of the "tests", assume the gun is, or will be the solution to the problem. Actually shooting/cutting each other, is really the only way to find out. Airsoft and a "chalked blade" help here too.

Page generated in 0.02289 seconds with 8 queries