View Single Post
Old December 19, 2001, 06:37 PM   #4
PJR

The first shotgun I ever fired was a 16 gauge and in the intervening 40 or so years I haven't fired one since.

Intrinsically, there is nothing wrong with the gauge but its fall from fashion is understandable. For the most part, its absence from the skeet fields means there isn't a steady market for the gauge. Target shooting helps keep cartridges alive. For example, were it not for skeet, the 28 gauge would probably be as popular as the 32 gauge is today IMHO.

The move to non-toxic shot has hurt it for waterfowling. Why go with the smaller payload when the 12 is so readily available and comes in magnum lengths for those really long honkers. For variety, you can't beat the 12.

The 16 is a good upland cartridge but the light 12 gauge upland guns match the 16 for weight without losing the shell selection. (I actually have the best of both worlds with a 12 gauge Spanish sidelock that was built on a 16 gauge frame.)

I have nothing against the 16 and no complaints about its revival but I am not one of those who get all dewy-eyed over the 16. This is likely considered heresy and desecration by the 16 lovers but I'll just stick to my 12 when the occasion calls.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries