View Single Post
Old July 9, 2007, 08:20 PM   #13
FL-Flinter

There was a company called "NO-KEYS" but they were bought out a couple years back and I can't recall the new name off hand. They did maintain the same product lines, push button mechanical combination locks. They were available with three to eight buttons depending on the level of security you desired and in about 12 different mounting configurations with and without a secondary twist lever for the striker. Very high quality devices but the prices were reasonable. I installed them on various access doors in several factories where they got very hard use, never had one crap out from normal use. I have also used these on several different types of metal firearm lock-boxes I built for customers to use in their homes and businesses.

There are numerous options for home storage and as others have pointed out, you can make them blend into the decor so they are not even noticable. I never got that fancy in my home, never had small children to deal with so my M-500 and 1911 combo hangs right next to my side of the bed on a wood snatch rack, no fumbling, just grab and go. Peacocks alert to anyone coming within a half mile of the house, they get the dogs going and there's always someone home so theft security is not a concern. I have installed lock boxes recessed into interior walls, ceilings and floors as well as in/on/under furnishings and cabinets. Just use some imagination but remeber that it must be very easy and fast for you to access - time frame to respond in the event of a forced entry is 1 to 5 seconds depending on the situation. I would definitely avoid using any dial combination, electric, battery or keyed locking system. Keys are slow and easily misplaces and aquired by children. Electric locks are subject to failure of utility and or battery power. Dial combination locks are also slow to open and you must be able to see what you are dialing, not always an option. Electronic locks are also subject to power failure but they are also subject to ESD (electro-static discharge) magnetic damage as well, child with a magnetic toy or static discharge from a vacuum cleaner or lightning strike can easily destory most electronic locks.

Page generated in 0.01980 seconds with 8 queries