View Single Post
Old September 23, 2007, 07:14 AM   #22
joshua

I am active duty miltary and prior to deploying to Iraq they made sure our unit go through Rules of Engagement and Law of Armed Conflict. The guys I had in my section new what the lawyers wanted, but if we were engaged I'm not so sure if they will remember 2 hours worth of power point slides. Force to be used must be proportional to the required effect. Military and civilian self defense is totally different. In the civilian world you are to use deadly force only if your life is threatened. It differs in each state and I'm sure each judge will see each case differently.

For me if I wake up to a noise in the middle of the night in a house where my 3 sons and wife lives my first response is to gather everyone and ensure their safety. A 12 gauge shotgun and 2 1911 commander in 45acp will be deployed for defense. My next step will be to investigate what is going on downstairs and if confirmed that unwelcome person or people are in my house the call to 911 will be made and I will make sure that I include in there how many family members are present and where they are located and I will let them know that the residents of the house are armed with firearms. If 911 dispatch says officers are on the way I'll ask for estimated time of arrival. Now if dispatch says no officers available, I will make noise and turn on all the lights that I can. I will tell my wife to take a tactical point at the entry way to where the kids are. I'm hoping with the noises I just made this intruder(s) are making their way out, if they stay then they are there to do us harm instead of just burglarizing our home. If I see anyone come up the stairs with a weapon and he's not a cop the 12 gauge will bark, if this person is still clutching the weapon effectively he will get another one until the weapon is released or until I deemed it is not a threat anymore. If I proceed to advance downstairs anyone advancing even without a weapon will be treated the same way as the first guy. Anyone jumping out of a window or running out of the door will not be shot. josh

Page generated in 0.04092 seconds with 8 queries