View Single Post
Old July 3, 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
BigJimP

A .410 isn't a good gun for a kid in my opinion. A 28ga is a way better gun ...and you can do a lot more with it. But then, I live in the Northwest ...and we don't hunt squirrels either...

If you just want a .410 ....or a .410 pump gun ...I don't think you're over thinking this gun....it comes down to whether you like the looks of a model 42 ( its old technology / but once you get it so it'll run 100% it'll probably be ok long term). On the std grade model 42's ..I don't think they'll maintain their value another 10 yrs or so ...and then the value is going to crash in my opinion once us Baby Boomers are no longer interested in them. The exception will be the Deluxe grade model 42's or the Pigeon Grade guns...those will continue to demand a premium price .../ but comparing a standard grade to a pigeon grade...is like comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus ...they're just not the same.

I think the Browning BPS in a .410 and one in a 28ga ...combined will only cost you about $ 1,200 for both guns ...is a better buy than this model 42. But I think the Browning BPS is a stronger gun than the model 42 as well ...and for the next 3 generations in your family, the BPS won't have to be rebuilt.

But it isn't what matters to me...its what you think would be the sexy gun to have in a .410 ....the model 42 or the BPS...but before you decide, I'd at least go to a good gun store and hold a BPS in .410 ideally ( or in 28ga or 20ga ) and see what you think of them vs the model 42. I think that's how to make your choice. A lot of stores should have the BPS in stock in at least a 20ga ...the Hunter model ...( they have about 9 models of the BPS ) but the Hunter model is probably the most popular. Remington used to make the 870 Wingmaster in a .410 as well ...and they're good guns as well ...the Wingmaster and the BPS are on a par ....the other 870 models, like the express, etc ...not so much, in my opinion.

In terms of rebuilding the model 42...unless its just a cleaning and lube issue ...I think you're looking at $ 300 easily to have it rebuilt / could be way more / almost impossible to tell --- until a gunsmith gets it broken down and can evaluate it for you.

Last edited by BigJimP; July 3, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.02167 seconds with 8 queries