View Single Post
Old June 24, 2012, 09:38 AM   #42
dahermit

Quote:
It seems latley that people have called the reliabiliy of the 1911 into question. As in its not suitable for carry, defense, etc. That it is only good for competition shooting and to look at. I dissagree I wouldnt carry my 1911 Range Officer but i would to a colt series 70, 80, or some of Springfields other models. What do you all think?
Geeezzzze! This thread got off topic. He posed a legitimate question.
On topic: I have owned four Colt 1911's over the years. Three from the seventies, one of current production.

Of the four, only one proved to be reliable out of the box. The problems with them were not readily apparent; the issues were intermittent and I can imagine scenarios where I would have assumed that they were working correctly after a couple of hundred rounds and in those scenarios, the stoppages that occurred could have resulted in misfortune. I have not had such issues with other autos, and certainly not revolvers.
Therefore, IMO the 1911 especially, needs to be rigorously tested (new, out of the box), and examined beyond that required of all other platforms I have owned. That is based on my own personal experiences together with my interest in following the problems and comments of other 1911 owners.
The only question that remains for me is: Are the problems encountered with 1911's the result of poor design (other designs Browning HP, Sigs and Glocks, etc. seem to have fewer problems, fewer moving parts), or lack of quality control at the manufacturer? In my case, it has always a matter of poor quality control in that the parts were out of spec. and once they addressed, reliably was no longer an issue.
And that begs the question: I have learned not to trust a 1911 until I have subjected it to intense scrutiny, but what about the new guy, who will crank a hindered rounds through it and think he is good to go?

Last edited by dahermit; June 24, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.05790 seconds with 8 queries