Thread: Cleaning brass.
View Single Post
Old July 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I have both a sonic cleaner (el cheapo Harbor Freight one pint model), and a vibratory media tumbler ( I use fine walnut sand blasting media in it). Before that I used a Gatorade bottle with dish soap, vinegar, and water shook for a bit, poured out in a strainer, then rinsed well.

In the end they all do the same thing. Clean the brass. The question to ask yourself is "How shiney do I want the brass to be.)

I use the tumbler to clean super dirty range pick up brass, and to remove case lube from bottle neck cases that have been full length resized. It is faster than waiting for it to air dry using the sonic cleaner. The sonic cleaner cleans the primer pockets out of decapped brass. Oh and it only takes 3 or 4 three minute cycles to get it nice and clean. One or tow more cycles to make it super shiney if that is your thing. (I never cleaned them before so that makes no difference to me.) I use the sonic cleaner more than anything else for the simple reason of I have bad allergies, and the dust from the tumbler will make me sneeze, and wheeze for a day when I use it.

My fired revolver rounds I do not clean there is no need. They shoot just the same. Rifle round that I use the Lee Collet die on I do not clean. They shoot just as well. Semi Auto brass as long as it is fairly clean I do not worry about it. Range pick up .223 Rem brass that is super dirty goes into the tumbler before I lube, and size it.

As long as it does not have debris on it that will scratch dies, or case lube that can cause problems in bottle necked cases wiping them off with a cleaning patch will work.

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries