View Single Post
Old March 9, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
whiplash

forcing cone and cyl gap ?s

I did a search, but I just didnt get what I was looking for. Anway, I wanted to ask for some opinions/guidance on forcing cones and cylinder gaps on my revolver. I have a Taurus M44 (44 mag). Ya, I know its no high dollar gun, but it is mine and I like it. It shoots ok. My forcing cone is well....pretty rough to say the least. And I could have done a better job at the finish on it (if I had the tools etc.). So, is reworking the forcing cone something that I can do, or is that better left to the gunsmith? If so, whats the going rate? And whats the opinions on what degree to cut? Ive seen 5 and 11 degrees. I also looked at the cylinder gap, and it was .011. I dont think this is a big thing. I thought I read where the SAAMI max gap was .012. One last question...The throat dia in all six was .429. Is this too tight? I mainly use hardcast .430 (w/ gas check) and hardcast .431, sometimes jacketed .430. I cant measure the groove dia due to the last two inches are compensator. I am hoping someone can give me some opinions/guidance/education on these topics. Any past magazine articles? I did manage to find and Handloader issue from '02, but was looking for me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Page generated in 0.05654 seconds with 8 queries