Thread: 3-9X40 scope?
View Single Post
Old December 26, 2012, 06:28 PM   #22
C/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
I like the 3-9X magnification for deer hunting, especially if you must spot antlers. Sometimes it's hard to see antlers in the woods in low light, so even if you normally leave the scope on 4X and identify a deer, but need more power to see antlers, it's quicker to do so with the scope than switching to binoculars.

(That said, someone will say it's not safe to use a scope to spot deer, but I'm saying that you've already spotted the deer, just need to identify it's an antlered deer.)

On the other side, the 9x power makes sighting-in easier and somewhat more accurate to sight-in the rifle.

Yes, 3-9X scopes are a bit big and heavy for .30-30s, but your dad got it for you and it's entirely usable. Besides, some day you may want to buy a bolt-action rifle in a more powerful cartridge, like a .270 or .30-06, which would extend your in-zero range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Whether necessary or not, I'll happily put a 3x9x40 on most anything. 3X when hunting, particularly when sneaky-snaking and walking. 9X when messing around on paper, load testing or sighting in.

"If ya got it, use it."
Thanks, I think I will keep it and use it.

Page generated in 0.02955 seconds with 8 queries