View Single Post
Old July 8, 2009, 10:45 PM   #35
Hagar the Republican

Let's see . . . the title of this thread was "Cheap .22 plinker."

That rules out any of the quality revolvers made by S&W, Ruger, or USFA.
If you want a good reliable .22 automatic, you will have to get either a Ruger Mk. II or III, a Browning Buckmark, S&W 22A, and some have mentioned the Beretta Neos.

There is a reason why the Ruger is the best selling .22 auto in the world, bar none. It simply works better than all others in its price range, and is very accurate. A hard combination to beat.

The second best seller is the Browning Buck Mark, for the same reasons. Both designs, Ruger and Browning have been around for many years, and back when I sold guns these two made up at least 80% of all .22 pistol sales.

The S&W 22A hasn't been around as long, but most owners are happy with them. There is a recall regarding them presently, but it should not keep you from buying one. S&W will handle the problem if that is the one you like.

The Beretta Neos was just coming out when I got out of the business. They might be a fine automatic, but the common remark I heard was, "goofy looking." Again, that is not a big factor. Many folks didn't like the looks of the old S&W 2206 (no longer available), but it was one of the best little .22s ever made.

Please don't buy a Taurus anything. Quality control has really gone down hill, and customer service really sucks. "Lifetime warranty" means you can keep sending it back all your life, and maybe you'll get lucky someday and they will get it right.

There are others I did not mention, but I am sticking with the big sellers. Some the .22 mouse guns (Beretta Bobcat, Walther P22, etc.) are problematic and not known for accuracy.

For about $300 you can get a basic Ruger, Buck Mark or S&W 22A, and it will serve you well for the rest of your life. That's what I suggest. I'm not just touting my favorites, because I actually don't have either. I have five .22 handguns, but they are a bit more expensive guns.

A S&W or even Ruger revolver is even better, but you're talking real money. They are not "cheap .22 plinkers."

Page generated in 0.03445 seconds with 8 queries