View Single Post
Old April 5, 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
BoogieMan

NJ Inherited guns

I inherited several long guns and a pistol from my father when he passed. Im in NJ and just got several pistol permits thinking that I had to transfer the pistol in the same manner as I would purchase a new one. However several people (shop owner and cops) that I dont need to do anything.
The long guns have a form on the NJ.gov website for transferring ownership and I will fill them out and have them signed by the executer.
The key point is that none of the guns are called out in the will either individually or as a group. The penalty for illegal firearms in this state is very severe and although its extremely unlikely I would have a problem I am losing sleep over the possibility of not conforming with the law. Is there an attorney in NJ that handles firearm law or someone who has some definitive answers? Any idea who I can call? Even my local police have conflicting opinions within the station. There are plenty of stories over people losing there freedom because of some misunderstanding of the law.

Page generated in 0.02262 seconds with 8 queries