View Single Post
Old May 10, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

From her confirmation writings:

Quote:
I think a judge should try to the greatest extent possible to separate constitutional interpretation from his or her own values and beliefs. In order to accomplish this result, the judge should look to constitutional text, history, structure and precedent. Relating these views to the position for which I am nominated, I think these kinds of arguments also are most successful in advocacy before the courts in constitutional cases. ... The Constitution generally imposes limitations on government rather than establishes affirmative rights and thus has what might be thought of as a libertarian slant. I fully accept this traditional understanding, and if I am confirmed as solicitor general, I would expect to make arguments consistent with it.
Quote:
I think it is a great deal better for the elected branches to take the lead in creating a more just society than for courts to do so.
I think she's the safest choice for this administration. She's got some left-leaning credibility, but no so much so that she'll get torn apart in confirmation. If she sticks to her principles, she may be an asset to us.

If not, at least she's no Stevens. I'm not bad-mouthing Stevens, as I admired him at times, but she will lack his influence, as well as his ability to sway Kennedy.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries