View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1
KenLondregan

Proposed NJ bill (A3645) would prohibit the online sale of ammunition

I have been a member of this forum for about a year, and although I enjoy browsing forum posts every few days, I am not one to comment very often. That changed tonight when I read an online article discussing the package of proposed NJ gun bills that just passed their first hurdle towards becoming law. There is one bill in particular that really struck a nerve with me.

A3645 would limit gun and ammo sales to face-face transactions only. While I understand the need to keep firearms and ammunition out of the hands of criminals and the mentally unstable, I do not see how reducing the sale of ammunition to face-to-face transaction only, is going to do anything to protect anyone. If a criminal is able to procure a firearm outside traditional channels, I am pretty confident they would also be able to purchase the necessary ammunition to fire that weapon. The only thing this is going to do is hurt law abiding citizen like myself.

The thought of having to buy my ammunition at my local dicks sporting goods store or range, when I can purchase similar ammunition significantly cheaper online is disparaging. The last time I bought a box of 9mm at a store (before the tragic events of CT) it cost me $18 a box. I was able to buy the same ammo online in a bulk 1000 round box for $12 a box with shipping. Six dollars a box over the course of months of weekly shooting sessions quickly adds up.

This is exasperated by the fact that online resources are sometimes the only place I can find the particular round I am looking to shoot. I plan on calling my local legislators tomorrow, but living in a state that is notorious for being anti-gun, I truly doubt these calls will have any effect on the will of our elected officials.

Is there anyone on this forum that is familiar with this bill, with any insight to the likelihood of it going all the way through?

Are there any other states proposing a similar law?

Sorry for the long rant.

Page generated in 0.03908 seconds with 8 queries