Thread: Haggling
View Single Post
Old January 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_iowa
Do you haggle on your gun purchases? I would say I haggle on about 80% of my purchases. I want the guy to make some money and I don't want to beat him up so bad he think gah I don't wanna see that guy walk through the door again. I also want a fair price. So I try to balance the two things. Taking care of the local gun shops is important because if we don't we are going to lose em to the superstores whos politics blow with the wind and may pull guns off their shelves at anytime.
I approach any purchase with an idea of how much the gun is worth to me, totally irrespective of prevailing market price. If it's within my price range, or very near, I may ask if that's the best he can do. If he takes a bit off, I'm happy. If he won't budge, it's still within my price range so I'll buy anyway.

But I don't do gun shows for guns, just for parts, and general window shopping. I buy from two small, local gun shops. With them, I don't even ask if that's their best price. If I want it, I'll buy it. Because I'm a regular and they know it, if they can come out okay after taking a few bucks off, they'll often do so without my asking.

Quote:
Gun sellers, what is the best way to get a fair price? Do you price haggling into your retail prices. I know on new guns the margin can be quite slim sometimes especially with easy access to internet gun sales. What is the best way to be a good customer that gets "special treatment" ie phone calls if something cool comes in used. First shot at components when they are scarce...
I'm a buyer, not a dealer, but I believe I rank as a special customer at the two shops I haunt. They both call (or e-mail) if they get something in they know I'll be interested in. I would say I got that way by buying almost exclusively from them, and by NOT trying to beat them down on every deal.

Page generated in 0.04174 seconds with 8 queries