View Single Post
Old September 6, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Gary Slider

WV/WY & DE/SC Sign Reciprocity Agreements. CT Park/Forest Carry

West Virginia and Wyoming have signed a reciprocity agreement as have Delaware and South Carolina. WV has updated their listing while WY has not. DE has updated their listing adding SC but SC has not updated their official list. WY and SC are two of the slowest states in updating their lists.
I have heard from the Connecticut DEP who oversees their State Parks and Forests. There is wording in their Admin Rules about firearms that could have many different meanings. Handgunlaw.us has to go with what those in charge state the rules mean. I talked to Sgt Tomassone and he did follow up with something in writing. Below is the email I received from the the CT DEP EnCon Police.

Gary,
Thank you for your question about handgun carry in CT State Parks and Forests.
CGS 23-4-1(c) Hunting/weapons.

Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons,
including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any
state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental
Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions
of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted there under.

The short answer to your question is no, a CT Permit to Carry does not allow a Permit holder to carry in a State Park or Forest.

Regarding your question about the highlighted (Bold Print in this copy) sentence, this means that if a person is statutorily allowed to have a firearm in a certain Park or Forest, that person must have met all other requirements to carry such firearm. An example would be someone hunting deer where it is allowed with a shotgun could not be a convicted felon as felons are not allowed to possess firearms under CGS 53a-217.

There are some Parks and most Forests in CT where small game hunting is allowed with handguns (.22 caliber rim-fire) and a person hunting with a handgun would need a CT Permit to Carry.
I hope this answers your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me again. Thanks,

Sgt. Matt Tomassone
DEP EnCon Police
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Page generated in 0.04533 seconds with 8 queries