View Single Post
Old December 20, 2008, 10:36 PM   #12
CraigC

You need hearing protection with everything, including .22LR rifles. Period. Yes, even the lowly .22LR will produce hearing damage over time. I am living proof, tinnitus ain't fun. The .204 will probably be louder than the .223.

Up to about 150yds, the .22Mag has it all over the .17HMR in terms of effectiveness on game. The .17 is almost always more accurate but the .22Mag is typically accurate enough and carries more splat factor to the target. Regardless of what those meaningless energy figures show. Where the .17HMR shines is at ranges beyond that, up to around 250yds.

There are a few autoloaders for the .22Mag but the cartridge has always been difficult to chamber in an auto due to its pressure curve. Which is why there are few left on the market. Remington has their 597, Ruger had their 10/22M which was discontinued due to reliability factors, H&R had their 300, HK produced one for a while, Volquartsen is probably the best available but you will pay for it and if I recall correctly, CZ has produced one at one time or another.

I've never heard of the Hornet being chambered in an automatic.

Page generated in 0.03437 seconds with 8 queries