Thread: 1911 Upgrades
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2012, 05:49 PM   #29
pete2

Last 1911 I bought was a Kimber Custom II. I changed the grips and put Walnut on it and I put a standard Colt thumb safety on it. The extended safety that came on it hurt my thumb when firing the gun. The wood grips look better. I also replaced the automotive grip and safety screws with colt slotted screws, this was also for looks.

The kimber already has a beaver tail safety, the standard GI safety bites me. Kimber also has Novak style sights on it. Any way I spent very little extra on it. I wanted a carry gun, if I was going to use it for IDPA , I would also do a trigger job on it. There are other bells & whistles if you like them. Other Mfgs. sell them decked out. Some of the stuff like sights and the beaver tail safety are actually needed. Others are fluff. The "loaded" models are a little more expensive than a standard gun but you do get more gun, typically, sights, beaver tail, extended/ambi safety, lowered ejection port, BBl modified for hp/wad cutter bullets, etc. Then you get into fancy finishes, grips, checkering, SS instead of carbon steel, the list goes on and on.

If you know what you want/need you may decide to buy a gun with the accessories already on it and save a buck or two.

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries