View Single Post
Old July 10, 2012, 11:11 PM   #26
NWGlocker

Thought I'd post an update about the group.

Took a shortened version of what looks like their Defensive Handgun I class. I went in there expecting to learn some handling skills with a simunition pistol. Instead I went through multiple self defense scenarios—at home, on the street, in a store and in a restaurant. The most unexpected thing was that I was learning more about how to act and react in these scenarios. Never experienced this kind of simulation, so I also learned a little about how I (a lot of times wrongly) acted when in a confrontation.

In other words, the class was more than just “how to use a gun”. In fact, gun handling training was pretty minimal to the point that complete firearm noobs -- for example those that don't know the Cooper's 4 rules of safety by heart-- or people that don't know how to draw from a holster, might struggle a little.

Expect to get bruised in the class-- even though we're loaned face/eye/neck/groin protection, I was wearing a long sleeve cotton rugby shirt and I should've worn something thicker. Yes, I was "shot" and "stabbed"...but I'm learning.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by what Cascadia Tactical has to offer. It's pricey, but I'm going to guess it's because of the simunition gear and the fact that there are multiple instructors. One is your "chief" instructor that debriefs you after scenarios, but there are anywhere from 4-5 other instructors who act as "bystander/perp/victims" in the scenario as well. Oh, and they're probably observing how you act/shoot. That's a lot of people.

Cascadia Tactical's handgun classes takes you beyond square ranges, and even beyond traditional shoot-with-real-ammunition classes. I plan to incorporate simunitions in my training.

Page generated in 0.03438 seconds with 8 queries