Thread: Shameless Brag
View Single Post
Old October 11, 1999, 08:01 PM   #11
Ankeny

I have been elk hunting all weekend...got sore feet. Passed up a half dozen rag horns and a nice 5 point bull. I have until the end of the month so I am going to try to get one for the wall.

Futo Inu:

I spent countless hours in a blind hunting antelope. Had a very nice buck (15-16 inches around the low 80’s I would guess) come in for a drink. I took the shot at 8 yards and shot under him. When I released, it sounded like I slammed a screen door. The darn sight had vibrated loose and almost fell off the bow. Dumb but not spectacular. He got away clean.

I was headed home from elk hunting when I saw a decent antelope about 50 yards from a rock outcropping. Seeing a "goat" that close to cover is almost unheard of. The wind was blowing about 25 miles per hour. I crawled up to the backside of the rocks and peeked over. I could see only the tips of the buck's horns and I guessed the range at 50 yards. I sat there for about 90 minutes waiting for him to get up and another 15 minutes waiting for him to meander within bow range. He got to 35 yards then turned broadside and looked away. I got to my knees and got off a great shot…double lung. He expired quickly. Nothing dramatic but a real rush for an archery buff like me. The official SCI score is 77 and that is Gold Medal.

Taking the deer was just about as lucky. I was elk hunting when I realized I forgot my release. I use a Fletcher release with an Ultra-Nok II. Probably doesn’t mean much to you guys unless you are into archery. I carry a spare release, but since I was only a half-mile from the truck I headed back for my primary release. I heard an elk bugle so I took cover behind some rocks and cow called. I looked to my right and there was the buck deer standing about 15 yards away looking right at me. I knocked an arrow and realized my spare release was still in the pack. The bull elk bugled again and the deer turned to leave. I drew the bow back with bare fingers and took the shot. My goodness did that ever hurt. The tips of my fingers went numb. I made a good hit on the deer and found him near by. Never did see the elk. Again nothing spectacular but better than watching ESPN. The official score is only 176 5/8 but that is Gold with a bow and Silver with rifle. He will make a nice mount to go next to the antelope. My taxidermist is a very happy camper.

Page generated in 0.02316 seconds with 8 queries