View Single Post
Old May 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
My only issue is seating the 36 RB. The seating plunger has a ledge that stops it in the cylinder before ball is seated firmly. 44 allows full pressure seat on powder. I can tell this at firing, it is a very small delay, like flintlock delay. I was loading a tad south of 20 grains Pyrodex. Report was very light, so perhaps I could load up up a little, but accuracy at 18-19 was awful good.

good show on the accuracy, IMHO the 1858 steel frame guns, are still the best bang for the buck, in cap/ball. Relatively large chamber powder capacity, strong frame- good price.

that's the issue with loading down below to 18 grains- the powder doesnt' get compressed- either load up until it will seat on the powder, or use wads/filler to fill in the space, are your only other options

you may also want to look at the bottom of your Rem frame, I had to clearance the last one with a file and dremel in that area, so the rammer handle would go all the way back, and push the plunger fully into the cylinder chambers- it was hanging up in the frame

yes, below 20 grains it starts sounding like shooting a cap gun- accurate, yes- powerful, no.

Page generated in 0.02975 seconds with 8 queries