View Single Post
Old March 20, 2015, 06:04 PM   #16
Paul B.

"Mr. Walk noticed this weakness in the design, he suggested adding a part in the the safety linkage to block the trigger as well as the primary sear. His proposal was turned down as it was deemed unnecessary."

Mr. Walker was turned down on his redesign of the trigger because it would have cost Remington exactly five cents more to make the safer trigger. The bean counters strike again. IIRC, Remington has made over 7 million M700s in one form or another. The nickle extra would have cost Remington roughly $350,000. How much did it cost Remington in law suits and lawyers fees?
Looks like the bean counters were penny wise and pound foolish on that decision.
I have three Remington M700s and an M660. These are range guns only. I'm not taking a chance using rifles with suspect triggers on a hunt. One of these days I'll but a few Timneys and make then right but until then I'll just use them at the range where the muzzle is always pointed downrange, even when I remove a shell from the chamber. I did have issues way back with the M660 and Remington fixed the trigger. When I lived in Nevada many years back, my neighbor brought an M700 ADL over for me to look at. He said his brother in law shot both his wife's kneecaps out with the gun. This was about 1973 or 4 as I recall. His BIL claimed the gun went off when he opened the bolt to clear the chamber after a deer hunt. I manipulated that gun every which way I could thing of. Even upside down and never made it fire. (Empty chamber) After messing with it for about a week I took it back and told him I could find nothing wrong with it. He wasn't too happy and I think he was going to try and sue Remington for the loss of his wifes legs. The had to amputate above the knees. My thoughts? He took the safety off while having his finger on the trigger and the rifle was not pointed in a safe direction.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03052 seconds with 8 queries