View Single Post
Old July 15, 2013, 08:53 AM   #31
Jimro

Quote:
He has stated that the shooter would be in different field conditions and using different stances and rest . That to me would make it hard to get repeatability . If that was the case I would want the bullet to leave the barrel as soon as posible .
Precision is getting a tight group.

Accuracy is hitting where you are aiming.

It doesn't matter what the velocity of your rifle round is, if you practice from field positions (slung up, shooting sticks, prone supported, standing offhand) and know how your rifle hits from there (expect 1 MOA shifts between positions) then you will be accurate.

Bullet speed has nothing to do with that, it won't make up for a shaky hold or sloppy trigger work.

Think about it, a 30-30 that is well fitted to the hunter is going to be "a joy to shoot" even with iron sights. That 243 Win bolt action Rem or Savage with 26" barrel for max velocity and scope on top is going to shoulder differently, have a different cheek weld, and have a point of balance further out unless you add weight to the butt.

Wouldn't want that 243 in the woods, wouldn't want that 30-30 on a prairie dog hunt. I'd take the 30-30 for deer any day where I didn't know what shooting position I might end up in. If I was on my belly off of sandbags or a bipod hunting varmits, I'd take the 243.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02775 seconds with 8 queries