View Single Post
Old December 22, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
BigJimP

No, its not normal - but it could be any number of things... even a loose stock bolt...

Remove the adj comb ( after you mark the setting with a perm pen - the best you can on the post ) - so you can reinstall it exactly where you want it. (note: I put some washers or spacers under my comb once I have it where I want it / so I can take it off and on / and get it right back on where I want it ).

Remove the recoil pad ( screws are in small slits on each end of face of the pad / and they should be a small phillips size.

The stock bolt is down inside the stock / and you should have gotten a long allen wrench to do this in the box. If your gun does not have an adj comb - the the bolt has a single slot screw head on the bolt and you'll need a long screw driver.

Don't get too aggressive taking it off / it may be lock-tighted down. Hang onto the receiver solidly - and just be patient. If the bolt is loose / snug it up and see if that stops the rattle. ( but as you take off the recoil pad - shake the stock, maybe there is something inside the stock ?? ) .

If there is something in the action broken ( spring, etc ) you'll need to go see a gunsmith / or get some parts ....and I don't recall if you bought the gun used or not / but used or new - I'd always take the stock off the gun anyway ( just to clean it out and inspect it ) but if it was used, inspect the firing pins and springs. I usually put some Danish Oil finish on the "unfinished areas of the stock" to give them a little bit of protection ( inside the forend too ).

Before I re-assemble - I use a little light oil ( spray Rig oil ) on the springs, pins, etc in the receiver. Don't overtighten the stock bolt / just snug it up. Even in your dry climate / I would still take the stock off all my O/U's every 6 months for cleaning and inspection ... ( its a good rainy day job ....). It only takes about 30 min per gun / so no big deal after you've done it once or twice.

Hopefully its just something easy for you / keep us posted....

Page generated in 0.02719 seconds with 8 queries