View Single Post
Old December 2, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5
BigJimP

No, I don't have any data to back up my opinion ...its just based on what I see at our local club ...guys having issues with guns, etc.../ where I see little, if any issues, on guns coming from companies like Beretta, Benelli or Browning.

I don't know why Beretta purchased Stoeger.../ corporations buy all kinds of companies for any number of reasons....but I don't think the quality issues at Stoeger reflect on Beretta - or other divisions like Benelli.

I think you have to ask yourself why you want an O/U ...and are you going to be happy with a Stoeger in the long run / or even short run - say 5 yrs vs saving your money and buying something else down the road.

I don't have an axe to grind with Stoeger ...if you decide to buy one - I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations. Some of my buddies and I have this discussion often ...for new shooters ...that want an O/U --- what can they buy that will hold up if they can't afford a Browning or a Beretta ...and the comments almost always come back to a used Browning or Beretta. I hope some of these less expensive guns - in companies making O/U's start showing they are "players" ...consistently in 9 out of 10 of their guns built ...but in the whole mix of Stoeger, Baikal, Huglu, Tristar, Ruger, Mossberg, Verona ....etc its hard for me to find one - or any - of those companies that are standing up and doing it right. Browning and Beretta have long set the standard for what good solid lower end costing O/U's ought to be ...but to get into that arena, in new guns today, is at least $1,000.

I wish I could tell you I see the Stoegers work out 90% of the time ...I do see some that guys say they're happy with .../ maybe its 3 of 10 ...maybe its 5 of 10 .../ its only my opinion ---but I can't recommend them to you.

You might look around and see what you find in the used market ...maybe even an SKB...or a Browning or Beretta. Remember, Browning makes about 28 different models of their Citori line of guns ( from $ 1,300 - $4,000 ) ....and Beretta makes at least 25 models in their field guns and competitioin O/U's ....so there are a lot of guns and models to consider. I just don't want to see you get burned on your purchase.

Page generated in 0.03519 seconds with 8 queries