View Single Post
Old November 10, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
9ballbilly

Time and place for carrying Two guns...your thoughts?

Living in a fairly rural area about 85% of my SD carry occurs when I'm hiking, mtn. biking, backpacking, fishing, and camping. With one exception I never carry a second firearm. The exception being when I'm on extended trips in (black) bear country. It's not that I'm particularly phobic about bears but more so that I'm phobic of Murphy's law. The idea of being two days hike from a trailhead with a (for whatever reason) disabled firearm is not appealing to me. So, in addition to my Ruger Speed-six .38spl, I'll be taking along my (new-to-me) Win. 16" bbl. Trapper .30-30 carbine. I'm also considering adding bear spray, since I'd much rather redirect a bear than shoot it. I guess what I'm asking is what do you fellow outdoorsmen think of this choice of load-out? And, if anyone has experience, what do you think the chances are of having enough time to transition from spray to a firearm if the spray fails to discourage the animal? On almost every trip my son will be with me so I'm asking these questions seriously, as his safety is always my first priority.

Page generated in 0.02551 seconds with 8 queries